CHARLOTTE, N.C.: Novant Medical Group (NMG), a network that includes more than 1,000 physicians and more than 1,400 providers in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia, now has 32 practices that have been designated by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Patient-Centered Medical Home. This designation signifies that the practice has met a set of NCQA national standards established to improve health through the coordinated management of patient care.
The concept of a “medical home,” or coordinated approach to patient care, was first introduced in 1967 by the American Academy of Pediatrics and focused on care of children with special needs. It has recently gained renewed attention as part of the national debate on healthcare reform, as Americans search for ways to access quality, efficient medical care, while at the same time identifying opportunities to lower their costs and stay as healthy as possible.
The American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Osteopathic Association have jointly defined the medical home as a model of care where each patient has an ongoing relationship with a personal physician who leads a team that takes collective responsibility for that patient’s care.
In the medical home model, the primary care physician serves as a quarterback, directing other team members in their roles to ensure that every patient gets appropriate care at the right place, right time and in the right amount to support their optimal health. The model also helps ensure that when patients need to go elsewhere for tests or specialty care, the team has a process in place to ensure that the results are added to the patient’s medical files and become a part of that patient’s care.
Other aspects of the medical home model include open scheduling, expanded hours, reminders of regular check-ups and other preventive care steps, as well as a patient-provider relationship that keeps patients and their families actively involved in their health.
Each of the following NMG practices is recognized as a Patient-Centered Medical Home by the NCQA:
Practices Recognized Prior to 2011
- Maplewood Family Practice
- Maplewood Family Practice at the Village
Practices Recognized in 2011
- Carolina Family Physicians & Sports Medicine Cary
- Carolina Family Physicians & Sports Medicine Holly Springs
- Carolina Family Physicians & Sports Medicine N. Raleigh
- Cotswold Medical Clinic
- Crown Point Family Practice
- Eastover Pediatrics
- Family Medicine Associates of Lewisville
- First Charlotte Physicians EpiCenter
- First Charlotte Physicians Matthews
- Forsyth Internal Medicine
- Forsyth Pediatrics Westgate
- Lakeside Family Physicians Cornelius
- Lakeside Family Physicians Denver
- Lakeside Family Physicians Highland Creek
- Lakeside Family Physicians Huntersville
- Lakeside Family Physicians Mooresville
- Lakeside Family Physicians Mooresville
- Lakeside Family Physicians Mountain Island Lake
- Lakeside Family Physicians Oakhill Park
- Lakeside Primary Care, A Division of Lakeside Family Physicians
- Lakeside Primary Care Afton
- Lakeside Primary Care Locust
- Medical Associates of Surry
- Medical Associates of Wilkes
- New Garden Medical Associates
- North Point Medical Associates
- Robinhood Pediatrics
- Twin ity Pediatrics
- Twin City Pediatrics Clemmons
- University Family Physicians
Novant Healthis a not-for-profit integrated system of 13 hospitals and a medical group consisting of 1,117 physicians in 360 clinic locations, caring for patients and communities in North Carolina,Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia, Hospitals include the following: Presbyterian Hospital, Presbyterian Orthopaedic Hospital, Presbyterian Hospital Matthews and Presbyterian Hospital Huntersville in the Charlotte, N.C. area; Forsyth Medical Center and Medical Park Hospital in Winston-Salem, N.C.; Kernersville Medical Center, Kernersville, N.C.; Thomasville Medical Center, Thomasville, N.C.; Brunswick Novant Medical Center, Supply, N.C.; Rowan Regional Medical Center, Salisbury, N.C.; Franklin Regional Medical Center, Louisburg, N.C.; Upstate Carolina Medical Center, Gaffney, S.C.; and Prince William Hospital, Manassas, Va. Other Novant facilities and programs include outpatient surgery centers, medical plazas, rehabilitation programs, diagnostic imaging centers and community health outreach programs. Novant Health is ranked 14th nationally among the 2011 Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks, according to an analysis by the SDI health informatics company.